Congo River Cruise - Best Of DR Cruising!
- Duration: 14 Days (approx.)
- Location: Kisangani
- Product code: CRbestof
NOTE: THIS TOUR REQUIRES CONSIDERABLE FLEXIBILITY AND IS NOT FOR 5 STAR OR LUXURY TRAVELERS. IT IS ROUGH AND TIRING AT TIMES, AND FOR ADVENTURERS ONLY! (but it is awesome and really a dissection of the country in panoramic completion. It can also be on the "beer barge" if desired, the national beer distribution riverboat, that hauls and distributes beer throughout the entirety of the DRCongo, which is a tasty and intriguing trip in itself!)
WE WILL NEED A NOTE FROM YOUR DOCTOR TO CERTIFY THAT YOU ARE PHYSICALLY FIT AND IN GOOD HEALTH ENOUGH TO DO THIS TRIP. IT IS VERY TIRING AND ROUGH, AND SOME DAYS WILL BE DELAYED AND NEED RE-WORKING.
HOWEVER, IT IS A STEADY AND AMAZING ODYSSEY ACROSS THE COUNTRY, AMONG THE MOST REWARDING TRIPS AVAILABLE ON THE CONTINENT TODAY.
Is this expensive for such a trip? - No. Here is why: Try to calculate and plan this trip out for yourself before you ask for any discounts. This is the price and sorry upfront we will not entertain versions of this trip you have heard on Lonely Planet Thorntree or TripAdvisor from self-styled travelers with multiple claims and stories, some of which are great, and some of which are exaggerated or unverified. Any traveler is free to attempt this trip on their own and we wish them luck.
Please note we get asked everyday, and stick to what we can do, and this is a route we know can reliably get you across. This is the minimum viable cost of the tour with a guide and organization. If you want to get the tour cheaper, we can put you on a ferry to Kinshasa from Kisangani that takes 1 additional month, without any food at all included on a sweaty insecure river barge covered with mud, for $300 plus $40 tips for the captain. If you have 2-3 months to spare, we can also set up portions of this trip for you to aid in you self-organizing for $5-7,000 of your own money per person. If you want a complete guided trip you must book at the rates and routes prescribed on this page.
Now let's get to the Program!...
BEST OF THE CONGO RIVER CRUISE - Program planned around the flight schedules to Kisangani
Cruise goes from Kisangani to Mbandaka, the most interesting part of the Congo River
Includes (itemized rather than day to day, due to its nature as an expedition):
- Airport transfer to Leon (Our top buddies and recommended hotel in Kinshasa, middle of everything, security guards, and awesome breakfast, position in the middle of Kin's bustle, a gym and AC and wifi...and the best service they take care of our guests)
- Leon hotel 1 night at the start on arrival.
- Transfer to Airport for flight to Kisangani (this is not something tourists should do themselves for reference, as it passes through the lawless part of town)
- Airport assistance /VIP lounge (to ease your arrival into DRC - trust us you'll appreciate it!)
- Flight to Kisangani (You and a CTT ground manager and river & jungle village specialist staff)
- Hotel La Riviere in Kisangani (2 pax our guide will stay with family). *For extra nights if waiting for the boat, client will pay.
- Transfer from Kisangani city to Congo River Boat
- Boat to Mbandaka (LOOOOOOOnNG ride - but the best part of the Congo!)
- Food supplies for river journey. (Yum)
- Local tour in Kisangani to Wagenia fishermen (Must-see)
- We get off the boat in Mbandaka to stay few days with Pygmy tribe in the forest. (Must-see)
- Transport in Mbandaka (a jungle river city that is in the heart of the nation)
- Hotel Nina for 1 night. (That hotel is in Mbandaka)
- Flight to Kin 3 pax (Homecoming!)
- Transfer to Leon for end of cruise return to Kinshasa
- Leon 3 nights (Time to see the culture and life around the capital)
- Kinshasa City tour (Tons of sites and history)
- Bonobo tour and we will visit some other sites in the 2 days of local tours including the art and craft markets.
- Transfer to airport for flight home (Farewell)
- Airport assistance and lounge. (VIP and celebratory exit beer?)
- Go Pass for Kisangani and Kin departures.
- Travel, Medical, and Cancellation Insurance (Mandatory)
Immigration fees in Mbandaka and other villages we will stop at such as Bumba and Lisala.
- Extra days on tour (past day 10 after Kisangani on the river due to any delays payable in cash to the ground manager at $200 per day.
- Extra nights in Kisangani or Mbandaka due to flight delays (hence bring travel insurance) - you must pay for your guide's night too at $100 per night for extra time incurred in those 2 cities.
*You will need a minimum of 2 weeks to undertake this trip.
**That said, this is one of the most adventurous and fascinating routes through the Congo and we highly endorse this kind of trip for adventurers and backpackers coming for the right reasons. It is awesome!
***Please budget minimum $800 extra spending money for food, drinks, tourist souvenirs, and incidentals for this trip.